Lemon trees with a whitewash protective covering, Small cabbage looper, and treating citrus trees with experimental insecticides
THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE AND LIFE SCIENCE
Home About YAC Introduction Early History Land Acquisition Early Facilities
  Early Research Staff History Early Land Use Building & Improvements YAC Departments


A history of the early reserach staff 1945-1955

Alfalfa seed yield display.
July 31, 1950
C.W. Van Horn(left) and W. M. Wooton(right) looking with pride on the amount of seed   produced from that acre from Chilean 21-5-5 alfalfa. Prof. W. E. Bryan, The University of Arizona Plant Breeder is the producer of this high seed yielding strain. Foundation fields were established for this seed.
 
1945- C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Master of Science Degree, Maryland University. Major portion of the ranch was being used to grow lettuce seed for lettuce growers.
Small Lettuce Research Program - C.W. Van Horn
At this time, the entire Yuma Station was Horticulture Research only. 
1946-1951 C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Superintendent and Citrus Research.
Bill Wootton, B.S.-
Agronomic Research.
1952 C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Superintendent and Citrus Research.
Bill Wootton, B.S.- Agronomic Research..
Don Tuttle, Ph.D. (ex. University of Illinois). Dr. Tuttle joined the staff as a Research Entomologist. Growers experienced several Spider Mite problems in 1951 on cotton, alfalfa and cantaloupes. They created a 10 cent tax per box on their crops to create revenue for Dr. Tuttle's salary and operation expenditures.
1953 C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Citrus Research. Mr. Van Horn resigned as Superintendent of the Yuma Station in June, 1953. He henceforth spent full time conducting citrus research as Associate Horticulturist with the Experiment Station.
Bill Wootton, B.S.- Agronomic Research. Resigned on April, 1953 to become the Farm Manager of the Snyder Ranch.
Frank Pritchard, M.S.- Joined the station staff as Superintendent and Agronomist.
He had a Master of Science degree from The University of California.
Don Tuttle, Ph.D.- Research Entomologist.
1954 Frank Pritchard, M.S.- Superintendent.
C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Citrus Research.
Bill Wootton, B.S.- Research Entomologist.
C.O. Stansberry, Ph.D.- Research on soils and crops.
Mark Mc Kinney, M.S.- Degree in Animal Husbandry, The University of Arizona.
The year 1954 marked the beginning of an extensive animal research program. One hundred of the Rombouillet ewes were obtained to start a sheep breeding program, and forty-five head of yearling steers were purchased to conduct feeding experiments on the Yuma Valley Farm. One hundred and twenty acres of the Yuma Mesa Farm were leveled and planted ino alfalfa, adjacent to this area,cattle pens were set for both pen feeding and pasture research.

The Yuma Valley Farm on Ave, B was sold in March of 1954 to Gailen Drury. This farm was sold due to the lack of soil uniformity for experimental work. The water table was also at ground level along the south side against the drainage ditch. This 90 acre farm was sold by the Board of Regents for $45,000. A great deal of credit for selling the farm at an early date was through the efforts of Mr. McNaughton of the Yuma Daily Sun.

In July 1954, The Board of Regents bought a new experimental farm on the corner of 8th Street and Somerton Ave. This new farm is 160 acres and was purchased for $108,000. The University obtained possession of the east 80 acres in July 1954, and the other 80 acres in July 1955. On October 18-19, 1954, the Yuma County Agricultural Research Council, under the chairmanship of Homer Kryger, held a "leveling bee." Forty-six pieces of heavy equipment were brought in, leveling the east 80 acres formerly known as the Coffee Ranch. Approximately 23,000 cubic yards of dirt were moved in 2 days. A big lunch for both days of leveling was sponsored by local agricultural product dealers. The entire east 80 acres was finally planted in alfalfa in December of 1954.

The west 80 acres was owned by the Coopers and was known as the Cooper Ranch. Frank Cooper, became the manager of the Imperial Hardware Store on Main Street and Second Street in old downtown Yuma. Another Cooper was Alma Schott who now lives at in Yuma at 1750 S. 6th Ave. In 1954, there were several buildings on the NW corner of this 80 acres including a house, dairy barn, sheds, and windmill with a wooden structure associated with it. In 1954, there was only a house and shed along the road (Ave. D1/2) on the east side of the east 80. Together, the two properties comprised a square 160 acres comprising The Yuma Valley Experimental Station. Initially, the house on the Cooper Ranch became the office and laboratory building. The house on the Coffee Ranch was moved to its present location at the Yuma Agricultural Center and was occupied by Bill Etier, the Farm Foreman. Construction of the office and laboratory building began in 1955 and the Superintendent's house followed soon after.

1955- Frank Pritchard, M.S.- Superintendent.
C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Citrus Research.
Don Tuttle, Ph.D.- Research Entomologist.
Bill Wootton, B.S.- Research Entomologist
Roy Nelson, B.S.- Vegetable Research. Roy is a native of Yuma Valley and a graduate of The University of Arizona.
Les Rosenblatt - Research Assistant Animal Husbandry Research. Less handled the cattle feeding experiments.
C.O. Stansberry, Ph.D.- Research on soils and crops.
In the summer of 1955, 20 acres were plowed out and fall agronomic work and vegetable work started.
-1955-
Frank Pritchard, M.S.- Superintendent.
C.W. Van Horn, M.S.- Citrus Research.
Don Tuttle, Ph. D.- Research Entomologist.
Bill Wootton, B.S.-Research Entomologist
Roy Nelson, B.S.- Vegetable Research.
Les Rosenblatt - Animal Husbandry Research.
C.O. Stansberry, Ph.D.- Soils Research.
Vince Roth, M.S. - Vince Roth has a Masters of Science Degree from Oregon State College of Entomology. His work included Chemical and Breeding control work on the spotted alfalfa aphid.
Hank Czajkowoski, M.S.- Research Agronomist (Master of Science Degree from The University of Arizona).
In the spring of 1956, a total of 40 acres was put into vegetable and agronomic research. By July 1956, 75 acres were planted to research crops. As of January 1, 1957, 90 acres of the 160 acres was in research and 70 acres in alfalfa.