the Yuma branch stations combined are composed of 514 acres (Yuma Valley
274 acres and Yuma Mesa 240 acres). This acreage was obtained by
The University in four different parcels at four different times (A,B,C
The Yuma Mesa citrus Farm - 160 acres. The land was purchased
with state funds in 1919, located seven miles south of Yuma Mesa. The
soil is classified as a superstition fine sand and is farmed predominately
in citrus and legumes. Adequate irrigation water is available and is purchased
from the Unit B Irrigation and Drainage District on contract.
One hundred and seven (107) acres of this farm is leveled and in
crop, the balance being to rough to be leveled economically.
The Gila Project Farm - 70 acres. This land was deeded
to the University in 1938 by the Bureau of Reclamation. The land was donated
to assist in "research on water conservation and crop economics".
The research conducted here was to help pave the way for passages of the
Yuma Mesa Division on the Gila Product Bill before Congress and the ultimate
development of that 25,000 acre project. The soil is classed as superstition
fine sand and is best adapted for cropping in citrus and legumes. An adequate
water supply is provided by Yuma Mesa Irrigation and Drainage District,
whose source of water is the Imperial Dam on the Colorado River.
This farm is located adjacent to the Yuma Mesa Citrus Farm.
The Yuma Valley Farm - 160 acres. This farm was purchased in
1954 from state funds, the site was selected cooperatively by a
committee from the Yuma County Agricultural Research Council and Experiment
Station Representatives. The elevation is 100.7 feet above the sea
level. In October 1954, Yuma area farmers completely leveled 80 acres
of this farm at no cost to the University.
soil is classed as Gila silty clay loam. Many who work this land would
deleted the word loam from the classification. It is very fertile
land, but the lack of soil uniformity limits the acreage available for
research projects. This farm has an adequate water supply which is available
when need and previously schedule with the Water District. The Yuma Valley
project has the second oldest water right on the river, dating back to
The Sturges Farm - 114 acres. In 1959, Mr. Steve Sturges, a prominent
Yuma farmer, donated a state lease to the University for research purposes.
Mr. Sturges had a long term lease, with a 45 acre cotton allotment, which
he gave up to further the research potential of the experiment station.
We are all grateful for this faith in our work and for his generosity.
This farm is located ¼ mile north of the other Yuma Valley Farm. It is
classed as Gila silt loam and is very productive and uniform land . Adequate
water is supplied by The Yuma Valley Irrigation District.