Dr. John Marchello
Meats Lab 4181 N. Campbell Ave.
P. O. Box 210038
Tucson, AZ 85721
- Ph.D., Colorado State University
- M.S., Montana State University
- B.S., Montana State University
- ANS 102R - Animal Industry
- ANS 102L Animal Industry Lab
- ANS 380 - Food Safety
- ANS 420/520 - Meat Animal Composition
Dr. Marchello has been a member of the University of Arizona Animal Sciences faculty since 1965. He serves as a Professor of Meat Science and Muscle Biology and his courses focus on food safety issues, meat animal evaluation, carcasses and meat cuts. He also manages the UA Food Products and Safety Laboratory, which is a USDA inspected meat processing facility. Dr. Marchello is very active in meat science extension education and provides many food safety and meat cutting seminars around the state each year. Dr. Marchello is also the coach of the U of A Rodeo Team.
Meat Science and Muscle Biology, plus safety issues regarding meat animals and other food items.
Dr. Marchello's past research has involved:
- The importance of certain hormones to fat deposition in cattle
- Improved marketability of cull range beef cows
- Impacts of relative price changes of feeds and cattle on the marketing of U.S. beef.
- Increased efficiency in marketing of lamb and mutton
- Meat animal composition
- Sanitizing agents to improve the production of safe food
- Microbial, chemical and physical contamination of meat products.
- The relationship of certain circulating hormones to lipid metabolism in cattle
- Utilization of encapusalated fat by ruminants
- Domestic & International marketing strategies for U.S. beef
- Improved marketability of certain meat by utilizing products and techniques which increase acceptability and extend shelf-life
- Marchello, JA. Aug 2010. Grass-fed vs. Grain-fed beef. V-V Ranch Explorers Day.
- Marchello, JA. Aug 2011. Dry vs. Wet Aging Effects on Palatability.
- Marchello, JA. Oct 2011. Food Safety Issues. Culinary Students Payson High School.
- Marchello, JA. Nov 2011. Effect of two Sanitizing Agents on Food Pathogens. Food Safety Consortium Retreat.
- Marchello, JA. Jan 2012. Carcass Evaluation Clinic for FFA Students
- Marchello, JA. Oct 2012. Myths About Food Safety. UA Employee Wellness and Health Promotion Meeting.
Marchello - Meat Lab
- Hamdi Ahmad - Research Specialist - Senior
- Betti Herwell - Lab. Supplies Controller
- Raul Islas - Research Tech
- Tom Van Haren - Lab Asst.
4181 N. Campbell Ave.