|Professor Tauhidur Rahman|
Readings for Fall 2011
2. Hackett, Steven C. 2001. Environmental and National Resources Economics, Chapter 1: Introduction to Environmental and Natural Resources Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Armonke, New York. Pages: 16
3. Shavell, Steven. 1987. Economic Analysis of Accident Law, Chapter 12: Liability versus Other Approaches to the Control of Risk, pp. 277-285. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. Pages: 8
Literature (Total Pages: 449)
2. Baumol, William J. and Wallace E. Oates. chps 1-2, chp 3, chp 4, chp 5, chps 10-11, chp 12, chp 14, chp 15. 1988. The Theory of Environmental Policy, Chapters 1-5, 10-12, and 14-15, pp. 1-79, 155-189, and 211-256. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England. Pages: 113
3. Hackett, Steven C. 2001. Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Chapter 4: Externalities, Market Failures, and Policy Intervention, pp. 53-75, and Chapter 9: Incentive Regulation: Economic Instruments for Environmental Protection and Resource Management, pp. 214-239. M.E. Sharpe, Armonke, New York. Pages: 21
4. Shavell, Steven. 1987. Introduction and Liability and Deterrence: Basic Theory, Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 in Economic Analysis of Accident Law, pp. 1-3 and 5-46. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. Pages: 44
5. Solow, Robert M. 1974. The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics. American Economic Review, V.64 N. 2: pp. 1-14. Pages: 14
6. Glennon, Robert. 2002. How Does a River Go Dry? Chapter 3: Water Follies, pp. 35-50. Island Press, Washington, DC. Pages: 15
7. Tweeten, Luther. 1998. Competing for Scarce Land: Food Security and Farmland Preservation, Occasional Paper ESO#2385, Department of Agricultural, Environmental, and Development Economics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, pp. 1-28. Pages: 28
8. Beissinger, Steven R. and John D. Perrine. Part 1, Part 2. 2001. Extinction, Recovery, and the Endangered Act. Chapter 4: Protecting Endangered Species in the United States, edited by Jason F. Shogren and John Tschirhart, Cambridge University Press, London, England: pp. 51-71. Pages: 20
9. Croley, Steven P. and Jon D. Hanson. 1990. What Liability Crisis? An Alternative Explanation for Recent Events in Products Liability, Journal of Regulation, V.8, N.1, pp. 51-81. Pages: 30
10. Cory, Dennis C. and Anna Rita Germani. 2002. Criminal Sanctions for Agricultural Violations of the Clean Water Act, Water Policy, V.4, pp. 491-514. Pages: 28
11. Cory, Dennis and Rahman, Tauhidur (2009), “Environmental Justice and Enforcement of Safe Drinking Water Act: The Arizona Arsenic Experience.” Ecological Economics, Vol. 68, PP: 1825-1837. Pages: 12
12. Cory, D.; Kiger, M.; and Rahman, Tauhidur, “Environmental Federalism, Regulatory Capture and the Safe Drinking Water Act: The Arizona Arsenic Experience.” January, 2011. Pages 40
13. Rahman, Tauhidur; Mini Kohli; Sharon Medgal, Satheesh Aradhyula, and J. Moxley (2010), “Determinants of Environmental Noncompliance by Public Water Systems.” Contemporary Economic Policy, Vol. 28, No. 2, PP: 264-274. Pages: 10
14. Kohli, Mini; and Rahman, Tauhidur, “Environmental Noncompliance and Enforcement: Evidence from Water Quality Enforcement.” 2009. Pages: 30
2. Gifford, Adam, Jr. and Courtenay C. Stone. 1975. "Externalities, Liability, Separability, and Resource Allocation: Comment," American Economic Review, Sept. (65):724-727.
3. Turvey, Ralph. 1977. On Divergences between Social Cost and Private Cost. Article in Economics of the Environment, ed. R. Dasman and N. S. Dorgman, Prentice-Hall, New York, N.Y. Major points of article.
4. Looney, J.W. and Donald L. Uchtmann. 1994. Agricultural Law: Principles and Cases, Chapter 7: Rights and Limitations in the Use of Agricultural Property, pp. 146-164. McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York, NY.
5. Garret, Theodore L. 1998. Reinventing EPA Enforcement, Natural Resources and Environment, American Bar Association Section of Natural Resources, Energy, and Environmental Law, V.12, N. 3, Winter, pp. 180-182 and 223-224.
6. Vukina, Tomislaw, Fritz Roka and Raymond B. Palmquist. 1996. Swine Odor Nuisance: Voluntary Negotiation, Litigation and Regulation-North Carolina's Experience, Choices, First Quarter, pp. 26-29.
7. Dick, Daniel T. 1976. "The Voluntary Approach to Externality Problems: A Survey of Critics," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2:185-195.
8. U.S. Congressional Budget Office. Part 1, Part 2. 1995. The Safe Drinking Water Act: A Case Study of an Unfunded Federal Mandate. The Congress of the United States Congressional Budget Office (Sept.), pp. 1-45.
9. Davies, Terry. 1995. Congress Discovers Risk Analysis, Resources (Winter), pp.
10. Belden, Roy S. Clean Air Act. Chapter 3: National Ambient Air Quality Standards, and Chapter 9: Acid Rain Control, pp. 11-22 & 83-92. American Bar Association, Section for Environment, Energy and Resources 2001-01, Chicago, IL.
11. Stewart, Richard B., James L Connaughton, and Lesky C. Foxhall. 2001. Designing an International Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading System, Natural Resources and Environment, V. 15, N. 3 (Winter), pp. 160-163 and 202-206.
12. Menell, Peter S. and Richard B. Stewart. 1994. Common Law Approaches: Toxic Torts, Section in Chapter 6 of Environmental Law and Policy, pp. 723-775. Little, Brown and Company, Boston, MA.
13. Cory, Dennis C. Potentially Polluting Activities and the Control of Environmental Risk: The Arizona Approach to Aquifer Protection, Initiative, V.8, N.1:5-11.
14. Kula, E. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. 1994. Development of Ideas on Natural Resources and the Environment, Chapter 1: Economics of Natural Resources, the Environment and Policies, pp. 1-41. Second Edition, Chapman and Hall, London, England.
15. Fisher, Anthony C. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. 1981. Resource Scarcity: Are Resources Limits to Growth? Chapter 4: Resource and Environmental Economics, pp. 90-126. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England.
16. Brown, Stephan P.A. and Daniel Wolk. 2000. Natural Resource Scarcity and Technological Change. Economic and Financial Review, (Q1): pp.2-13.
17. Brown, Gardner M and Barry Field. 1979. The Adequacy of Measures for Signaling the Scarcity of Natural Resources. Chapter 9: Scarcity and Growth Reconsidered, Resources For the Future, Washington, DC. pp. 218-248.
18. Tietenberg, Tom. Part 1, Part 2. 1988. Depletable, Nonrecyclable Energy Resources: Oil, Gas, Coal, and Uranium. Chapter 7: Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Second Edition. Scott, Foresman and Company, Glenview, IL.
19. Getches, David H. Part 1, Part 2. 1993 Water Resources: A Wider World. Chapter 6: Natural Resource Policy and Law, pp.124-147. Edited by Lawrence J. MacDonnell and Sarah F. Bates, Island Press, Washington, DC.
23. Plater, Zygmunt J.B., Robert H. Abrams, and William Goldfarb. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. 1992. Environmental Law and Policy: Nature, Law and Society, Chapter 9: Public Powers and Private Property Rights: Constitutional Authority and Limitations. West Publishing Co. St. Paul, MN. pp. 425-475.
26. Coursey, Don L. Part 1, Part 2. 2001. The Revealed Demand for a Public Good: Evidence from Endanged and Threatened Species. Chapter 11: Protecting Endangered Species in the United States, edited by Jason F. Shogren and John Tschirhart, Cambridge University Press, London, England. pp. 200-225.
27. Gallastequi Carmen. 1983. An Economic Analysis of Sardine Fishing in the Gulf of Valencia. (Spain), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. V.10: pp. 138-150.
28. Kula, E. Part 1, Part 2. 1994. Economics and Policies in Fisheries. Chapter 2: Economics of Natural Resources, the Environment and Policies, Second Edition, Chapman and Hall, London, England: pp. 42-74.
29. Hardin, Garrett. 1973. The Tragedy of the Commons. Chapter 6: Toward a Steady State Economy, edited by Herman E. Daly, H. Freeman and Co., San Franciso, CA. pp. 133-148.
30. Cory, Dennis C. and William E. Martin. 1985. Valuing Wildlife for Efficient Multiple Use: Elk versus Cattle. Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, V.10, N. 2(Dec.) pp.282-293
31. Cory, Dennis and Rahman, Tauhidur, “ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE AND FEDERALISM: Federal-State Relationships in the Siting, Regulation, and Remediation of Polluting Activities”, Book Manuscript in Progress, 2011
August 1, 2011