- Administrative calendar
- CALS21 process
- Strategic plan
- CALS governance
- CALS history
- CALS homepage
- Communications from the Dean
- Contact us
- Dean's Office homepage
- Faculty workload guidelines
- Promotion and reviews
- Search options
Information on Promotion and Tenure/Continuing Status Issues
Eugene G. Sander, Dean Emeritus
Updated May 2013
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) faculty have many diverse responsibilities and are assigned to units around the state. The "Collective Wisdom" website was developed as an accessible, internal resource to provide practical, informal guidance and answers to frequently asked questions for college faculty navigating the process to promotion and/or the award of tenure or continuing status. The information below brings together some helpful suggestions from recent committee chairs and experienced administrators in the college and information presented by university-level reviewers at annual workshops conducted by the Office of the Provost.
Candidates, mentors, and unit heads should always refer to the most recent edition of the provost's Guide to the Promotion Process (for either tenure or continuing track) and CALS Guidelines and Criteria for specific requirements and recent changes before preparing a dossier.
Who Might Find this Site Useful?
New faculty seeking tenure or continuing status
Faculty seeking promotion to higher rank
Administrators and mentors advising candidates
Staff assisting with dossier preparation
The "Collective Wisdom" Guides
Important Dates - Plan Ahead!
Unit heads notified regarding next year's personnel actions
Provost's Annual Workshop
Updated provost's Guide to the Promotion Process released
All dossiers (P&T, CS&P, promotion only, and 3-year reviews with recommendation for non-renewal) due to CALS Dean's Office
All 3-year reviews with recommendation for renewal due to Dean's Office
Deadline for dossier submission to Provost's Office
Provost's notification to candidates regarding decisions
Guidelines and Policies
All candidates should also be given a copy of the appropriate written guidelines and criteria for their department or school or for Cooperative Extension agents.
- Provost's Guide to the Promotion Process, University Guidelines and Online Forms
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Guidelines and Criteria for Promotion and Tenure/Continuing Status (rev. 2001)
- Abstracts of CALS Guidelines and Criteria for Use in the Dossier
- University Handbook for Appointed Personnel, Chapter 3: Faculty Personnel Policies and Procedures (tenure track)
- University Handbook for Appointed Personnel, Chapter 4: Professional Staff Personnel Policies and Procedures (continuing track)