About the Journal
From Me to You
Calendar of Events
Things to Expect & Do
A Color Palette
Ocotillo: Fiery Beauty
How Do I Care For My
May Monsoon Prep
New Flowers &
Summer Tree Care
Pine Bark Beetle
Bark Beetle FAQs
Parade of Ponds
E A R T H F R I E N D L Y G A R D E N I N G
Inspecting Your Irrigation System
by Donna DiFrancesco,
Water Conservation Specialist, City of Mesa
As gardeners, we know how important water is for our plants. But, we are also aware of how important it is to use water wisely in our desert environment. You can water effectively but still save a lot water and money by periodically checking your irrigation system. To make your job easier, follow this checklist. Monitor your system while it is in operation and check off each item when completed.
- If you have an automatic timer or irrigation controller, check that the controller program is correct.
- Check for leaks through the entire system. Look for standing water, soggy ground, and eroded soil.
- If the controller has battery backup power, replace the battery yearly.
- Replace missing or broken sprinklers, bubbler heads or drip emitters.
- Move emitters out to the drip line as plants grow, or increase basin sizes for bubblers.
- Set sprinkler heads at the proper height to prevent them from becoming blocked or submerged by grass and other surrounding plants. They should also be straight with the soil surface, not tilted.
- Be sure your system is watering only the areas intended, with no water running onto walks, into streets or down the gutter.
- If you have a sloped yard and have water runoff, then split the watering schedule. Water for half the calculated time and repeat after one hour.
Maricopa County Master Gardener Volunteer Information
Last Updated April 29, 2003
Author: Lucy K. Bradley, Extension Agent Urban Horticulture, University of Arizona Cooperative Extension, Maricopa County
© 1997 The University of Arizona, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cooperative Extension in Maricopa County
Comments to Maricopafirstname.lastname@example.org 4341 E. Broadway Road, Phoenix, AZ 85040,
Voice: (602) 470-8086 ext. 301, Fax (602) 470-8092