[AG] Re: Butia Palm

JeanSciFi@aol.com JeanSciFi@aol.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:35:07 EDT

Hi Douglas,

With your training it would be nice to have you help us out in answering
questions on the arid_gardener.  We get so behind.  I have over 400 e-mails
in my mail box right now.  If your interested I'll give you more information.
 It is all just volunteer work that some of the master gardeners from
Maricopa County elect to do.

I'm afraid I can't help you with a recipe.  About all I know is that the
fruit  of the Butia palm is edible.  You know that doesn't always mean tasty.
:) The Maricopa County Extension office does have a division that deals with
food.  You might contact them for a start.  They are located at 4341 East
Broadway in Phoenix.

I'll post your e-mail on the arid_gardenr board just in case someone
subscribed has more information.

JeanSciFi@aol.com
Master Gardener Volunteer
Apache Junction, AZ

In a message dated 6/26/00 8:41:37 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dougyes@peoplepc.com writes:

<< Subj:     Butia Palm
 Date:  6/26/00 8:41:37 PM US Mountain Standard Time
 From:  dougyes@peoplepc.com (Douglas Click)
 To:    JeanSciFi@aol.com

 Dear Jean,
 Someone had written to you about 2 Butia palms where one was doing poorly. I
had the same problem. I watered and fertilized alot and after two years tha
poor one has come on strong.
  My question; Do you have any recepies for Butia palm fruits? We are going
to have a bumper crop this year.
  Sincerely,
 Douglas Glick
 Horticulturist