Professor, Extension Specialist & Research Scientist
Associate Director International Programs
office and lab
Aquaculture, Freshwater and Marine Algae, Aquatic Biology
My position includes responsibilities in teaching, extension and research. In the spring semester I teach Freshwater and Marine Algae, which includes biology, culture and ecology of algae. In the fall I teach Aquatic Plants and the Environment, which covers aquatic plant biology, riparian zones, mangroves and other natural and constructed wetlands. I also guest lecture in the Aquaculture, Wildlands Water Quality, and Teaching Aquaculture in the Classroom courses.
My extension responsibilities include working with operating aquaculture farms across the state. I also work with farmers and investors who are considering aquaculture. We now have 20 high schools in Arizona with aquaculture units on their campuses. I work with students and faculty to develop their aquaculture systems and curriculum in the schools.
My research is directed primarily toward production techniques of tilapia and shrimp in the desert and in integrated systems. Multiple use of water for aquaculture and irrigated agriculture has been a focal point. A second broad area of resesarch is control of aquatic nuisance species. Links to research projects.
HONORS and AWARDS:
President of World Aquaculture Society 2004-2005
7. Elghobashy, H., Fitzsimmons, K. and Diab, A.S. 2008. (eds) From the Pharaohs to the Future: Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Egypt Ministry of Agriculture, ISBN 978-1-888807-18-9. Cairo, Egypt. 1447pp.
6. Contreras-Sanchez, W. and Fitzsimmons, K. 2006 eds.
Tilapia, Sustainable Aquaculture from the New Millennium - Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. American Tilapia Association, Aquaculture CRSP 389pp.
Book Chapters: (Peer reviewed)
9. Walker, D., Brusseau, M. and Fitzsimmons, K. (2006) Chapter 3. Physical-Chemical Characteristics of Waters. In: Pepper, I. and Gerba, C. Pollution Science. Academic Press.
Refereed journal articles:
21. Cruz, P., Andalecio, M., Bolivar, R. and Fitzsimmons, K. 2008. Tilapia - shrimp polyculture in Negros Island, Philippines: A Review. Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 39(6):713-725.
20. Zerai, D.B., Fitzsimmons, K.M., Collier, R.J. and Duff, G.C. 2008. Evaluation of brewers waste as partial replacement of fish meal protein in Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) diets. Journal of the Word Aquaculture Society 39(4):556.564.
19. Bymers, L. Glenn, E., Nelson, S. and Fitzsimmons, K. 2005. Diversity and biomass dynamics of marine algae in Biosphere II’s tropical reef macrocosm. Ecological Engineering 25 (4): 442-456.
13. McIntosh, D. and Fitzsimmons, K. 2003. Characterization of effluent from an inland, low-salinity shrimp farm: what contribution could this water make if used for irrigation. Aquacultural Engineering 27:147-156.
12. Watanabe, W., Losordo, T., Fitzsimmons, K. and Hanley, F. 2002. Tilapia production in the Americas: Technological advances, trends and challenges. Reviews in Fisheries Science 10 (3&4):465-498.
11. Nelson, S.G., Glenn, E.P., Moore, D., Walsh, T. and Fitzsimmons, K.M. 2001. Use of an edible seaweed to improve effluent from shrimp farms. Journal of Phycology 37(3):37-38.
10. Galindo-Bect, M.S., Glenn, E.P., Page, H.M., Fitzsimmons, K., Galindo-Bect, L.A., Hernandez-Ayon, J.M., Petty, R.L., Garcia-Hernandez, J. and Moore, D. 2000. Penaeid shrimp in the Upper Gulf of California in relation to Colorado River discharge. Fishery Bulletin 98(1): 222-225.
9. Glenn, E., Cohen, M., Morrison, J., Valdes-Casilla, C. and Fitzsimmons, K. 1999. Science and policy dilemas in the management of agricultural waste waters: The case of the Salton Sea, CA, USA. Environmental Science and Policy 2:413-423.
8. Brown, J.J., Glenn, E.P., Fitzsimmons, K.M. and Smith, S.E., 1999. Halophytes for the treatment of saline aquaculture effluent. Aquaculture 175:255-268.
7. Fitzsimmons, K., Lovely, C. and E. Glenn. 1998. Growth differences among widely separated geographic accessions of fourwing saltbush (Atriplex canescens) in the Great Basin desert, New Mexico, USA. Arid Soil Research and Rehabilitation 12(2):87-94.
6. Glenn, E., Moore, D., Brown, J.J., Tanner, R., Fitzsimmons, K., Akutigawa, M. and S. Napoleon. 1998. A sustainable culture system for Gracilaria parvispora (Rhodophyta) using sporelings, reef growout and floating cages in Hawaii. Aquaculture 165:221-232.
5. Glenn, E., Tanner, R., Miyamoto, S. Fitzsimmons, K. and Boyer, J. 1998. Water use, productivity and forage quality of the halophyte Atriplex nummularia grown on saline waste water in a desert environment. J. of Arid Environments 38:45-62.
4. Fitzsimmons, K., Dickenson, G., Brand, C., and J. Davis. 1997. Effects of reducing dietary lipid levels on growth of hybrid tilapia in an intensive recirculating water system. Progressive Fish Culturist 59:293-296.
3. Riley, J.J., Fitzsimmons, K. M. and E. Glenn. 1997. Halophyte irrigation: An overlooked strategy for management of membrane filtration concentrate. Desalination 110:297-211.
2. Glenn, E., Moore, D. Fitzsimmons, K. and Azevedo, C. 1996. Spore culture of the edible red seaweed, Gracilaria parvispora (Rhodophyta) Aquaculture 142:59-74.
1. Moore, D., Fitzsimmons, K., Borgeas, H. Akutakawa, M. and Glenn, E. 1995. Hatchery methods and early development of Gracilaria parvispora. Journal of Phycology 31(3):5.
22. Saelee W., Yang Yi, K. Fitzsimmons, 2002. Stocking densities of Nile tilapia in tilapia - shrimp polyculture at low salinity. In: Proceedings of the 4th National Symposium on Marine Shrimp, BIOTECH, Thailand, pp. 93-107.
21. Fitzsimmons, K. 2002. International markets for tilapia products in 2002 and beyond. Pp. 1-3. In: Di Gang, ed. Proceedings of the International Technical and Trade Symposium on Tilapia, April 2002, Haikou, Hainan, China.
20. Fitzsimmons, K. 2001. China and international Tilapia markets. p.3. Aquatic products processing and trading symposium – China, Japan and Korea October 28-29, 2001. Qingdao, China.
19. Watanabe, W.O., Losordo, T.M., Fitzsimmons, K. and Hanley, F. 2001 Tilapia production systems in the Americas: technological advances, trends and challenges. Paper presented at Aquaculture Growout Systems: Challenges and Technological Solutions Aquaculture Interchange Program Workshop. 12-15 February 2001,Honolulu, Hawaii.
18. Fitzsimmons, K. 2001. Tilapia markets in the Americas, 2001 and beyond. pp. 72-81 in: Meyer, D. (ed) Memoria:Sesiones de Tilapia, 6to. Simposia Centroamericano de Acuacultura. September 2001. Tegucigalpa, Honduras
17. Fitzsimmons, Kevin 2001. Tilapia production in the Americas. pp:7-16. In: Subasinghe and Singh (eds) Tilapia: Production, Marketing and Technological Developments. FAO-Infofish, May 20001. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
16. Fitzsimmons, Kevin 2001. Environmental and conservation issues in tilapia aquaculture. pp:128-131. In: Subasinghe and Singh (eds) Tilapia: Production, Marketing and Technological Developments. FAO-Infofish, May 2001. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
15. Fitzsimmons, K. 2000. TILAPIA : The most important aquaculture species of the 21st Century. Pp. 3-8. In: Tilapia in the 21st Century: Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Editor, Fitzsimmons, K. 2000. Ministry of Agriculture, Brazil. Rio de Janeiro.
14. McKeon, C., Gerba, C., Glenn, E., and Fitzsimmons, K., 2000. Microbiological hazards of freshwater tilapia culture systems. Pp. 479-485. In: Tilapia in the 21st Century: Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Editor, Fitzsimmons, K. 2000. Ministry of Agriculture, Brazil. Rio de Janeiro.
13. Fitzsimmons, K. 1999. Marketing of Tilapia in the USA. Pp. 12-25. In: The Fifth Roche Aquaculture Conference – August 26, 1999. Bangkok, Thailand.
12. Fitzsimmons, K. and Posadas, B. 1997. Consumer demand for tilapia products in the US and the effects on local markets in exporting countries. Pp. 613-632. In: Tilapia Aquaculture: Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Editor. Fitzsimmons, K. Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Publication, No. NRAES - 106. Ithaca, N. Y.
11. Fitzsimmons, K.
1997. Introduction to tilapia production systems. Pp. 317-318.
In: Tilapia Aquaculture: Proceedings of the Fourth International
Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Editor, Fitzsimmons, K.
Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Publication, No. NRAES
- 106. Ithaca, N. Y.
10. Fitzsimmons, K. 1997. Introduction to tilapia nutrition. Pp. 9-12. In: Tilapia Aquaculture: Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Editor, Fitzsimmons, K., Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Publication, No. NRAES - 106. Ithaca, N. Y.
9. Skeen, B. A., Fitzsimmons, K., Brown, J.J. and G. Dickenson. 1997. Performance characteristics of open and closed bead filters in a closed recirculating tilapia production system. Pp. 276-286. In : M.B. Timmons and T. Losordo, editors. Advances in Aquacultural Engineering. Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Publication No. NRAES - 105, Ithaca, NY.
8. Fitzsimmons, K. 1997. AquaRIC’s: Philosophy and direction. Pp. 19-22. In : Webster, D. and Ewart, J. , editors. National Aquaculture Extension Conference Proceedings. Annapolis, MD.
7. Fitzsimmons, K. 1997. Development and introduction of triploid grass carps for water quality control. Pp.50. In : Webster, D. and Ewart, J. , editors. National Aquaculture Extension Conference Proceedings. Annapolis, MD.
6. Piedrahita R.H., Zachritz, W.H., Fitzsimmons, K, and Brockway, C. 1996. Evaluation and improvements of solids removal systems for aquaculture. pp. 141-150. In: G. S. Libey and M. B. Timmons, editors. Successes and Failures in Commercial Recirculating Aquaculture. Aquacultural Engineering Proceedings II. Northeast Regional Agricultural Engineering Service Publication No. NRAES - 8.
5. Olsen, M.W., Fitzsimmons, K.M. and Moore, D.W. 1993. Surface irrigation of cotton using aquaculture effluent, pp.159-165. In: Techniques for Modern Aquaculture (J.K. Wang, Ed.) St. Joseph, MI:ASAE Pub. 02-93.
4. Fitzsimmons, K.M.,
1992. Extending the value of aquaculture effluents through
3. Fitzsimmons, K.M., 1992. Fertilizer value of aquaculture effluent and land disposal as a Best Management Practice. pp. 1-4. In: Proceedings of the National Extension Aquaculture Workshop. Ferndale, Ark..
2. Lightner, D., Redman, R., Mohney, L., Dickenson, G., Fitzsimmons, K., 1988. Major diseases encountered in controlled environment culture of tilapias in fresh and brackish water over a three year period in Arizona, p.111-116. In: 2nd International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. ICLARM, Manila, Philippines.
1. Leigh, L., Fitzsimmons, K.M., Norem, M. and Stumpf, D.K. 1987. An introduction to the intensive agriculture biome of Biosphere II, p.76-81. In: Space Manufacturing 6: Nonterrestrial Resources and Biosciences. Am. Inst. Aeronautics and Astronautics.
Industry Publications and Reports:
43. Fitzsimmons, K. 2006. Salmon, tilapia pioneer William Marshall dies. Global Aquaculture Advocate 9(6):33.