The Arizona Dept. of Agriculture Environmental Services Division and the Arizona Structural Pest control Commission regulate and certify applicators handling restricted-use pesticides in Arizona. This license is necessary to buy, apply, or supervise the use of restricted-use pesticides in Arizona. In addition, certified applicators must take continuing education units every year to maintain their license.

Why do I need to be licensed?

The goal of licensing is to protect the public, the environment, and you—the applicators—by improving your knowledge and understanding of pesticide application. Once you have demonstrated competence and awareness of the risks involved, you will be licensed to buy and use certain pesticides that have the potential to harm animals, plants, the environment, and most importantly, yourself. The responsibility that certified applicators show in handling restricted-use products will greatly influence whether these important materials remain available for pest control. Always keep in mind that pesticides can be dangerous if improperly used, stored, or discarded.

Restricted Use Pesticides

The EPA - Environmental Protection Agency, classifies pesticides as restricted use if they can cause unnecessary harm to human health or the environment even when applied according to label directions and precautions.

Responsibility of a Certified Applicator

There is a growing public concern regarding pesticide contamination of our food and water resources. As a pesticide applicator, your responsibility is to handle and dispose of pesticides safely by minimizing the potential for human and environmental contamination.

Which license do I need?

Agricultural:   Structural:
  • agricultural pest control
  • forest pest control
  • government employees
  • aerial - sellers - growers
  • urban structure pest control
  • turf and ornamental horticulture
  • city parks and golf courses
  • urban right of way


The Agricultural License is needed for rural handling of restricted use pesticides for farms, greenhouses, nurseries, State and National parks.

  • Pilots: AAP
  • Custom applicators: CA (air - A, ground - G, both - B)
  • Pest control advisors: PCA (PCE, if a government employee)
  • Growers: PGP
  • Sellers: PSP
  • Certified applicators: PU (commercial - C, government - G, private - P)
  • Train the Trainer: TTT

6 ADA Continuing Education Units (CEU's) are required for all categories.

Get more information


The Structural License is needed for the urban/city handling of restricted use pesticides: building, house, golf course, school, city and county parks, or along the rights of way.

  • General and Public Health Pest Control: B1
  • Control of Wood-Destroying Insects: B2
  • Right-of-Way & Weed Control: B3
  • Fumigation: B4
  • Turf & Ornamental Horticulture: B5
  • Antimicrobial Pest Control : B6
  • Fungi Inspection: B7
  • Wood-destroying Insect Inspection: B8
  • Aquatic Pest Control: B9

6 SPCC Continuing Education Units (CEU's) are required for all categories.

Get more information