Floyd J. Adamsen
Office: USDA Water Conservation Laboratory
Ph.D. Agronomy, 1983, Colorado State University
M.S., Soil Science, 1974, Montana State University
B.S., Chemistry, 1969, Montana State University
Soil Scientist, U.S. Water Conservation Lab., USDA-ARS, Phoenix, AZ, 1991 to present
Soil Scientist Peanut Production, Diseases, and Harvesting Research
Unit, USDA-ARS, Suffolk, VA, 1983-1991
Research Associate, Range Science Dept., Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO, 1979-1982
Instructor, Agronomy Dept. Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO, 1974-1979
My research interests include irrigation and fertilizer management practices that reduce nitrate contamination of groundwater while maintaining crop productivity; application of as near 100% irrigation efficiency as possible in surface irrigated systems; winter crops for the irrigated Southwest that can be double-cropped with cotton and development of guidelines for fertigation of surface irrigated systems. In addition, I am involved in development of remote sensing methods for management of agricultural systems, including the use of digital cameras for estimation of plant parameters as well as the use of narrow band sensors.
Selected as a National Science Foundation Undergraduate Research Participant, University of North Dakota, 1966.
Member, Gamma Sigma Delta Agriculture Honor Society, Colorado State University.
American Peanut Research and Education Society
American Society of Agronomy
Soil Science Society of America
Introductory Soil Science, Colorado State University, 1974-1979
Total Number Refereed Publications: 38
Selected Publications Last 10 Years:
1. Adamsen, F. J. Irrigation method and water quality effects on corn yield in the mid-Atlantic coastal plain. Agron. J. 84:837-843. 1992.
2. Adamsen, F. J., Porter, D. M., and Auld, D. L. Effects of rapeseed meal in control of cylindrocladium black rot of peanut. Peanut Sci. 19:92-94. 1992.
3. Porter, D. M. and Adamsen, F. J. Effect of sodic water and irrigation on sodium levels and the development of early leaf spot in peanuts. Plant Disease. 77:480-483. 1993.
4. Wright, F. S. and Adamsen, F. J. Peanut and corn yield response to subirrigation through an existing drainage system. Applied Eng. Agric. 9:55-60. 1993.
5. Adamsen, F. J. Mineral composition of peanut tissue as influenced by irrigation water quality and irrigation method. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 24:525-538. 1993.
6. Adamsen, F. J. and Wright, F. S. Response of Virginia-type peanuts under conservational tillage to gypsum. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 25:637-650. 1994.
7. Adamsen, F. J., Parton, W. J., and Bennett, S. R. A cuvette design for field and laboratory measurement of water and ammonia flux from soils in a short grass prairie. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 26:813-830. 1995.
8. Wechsung, G., Wechsung, F., Wall, G. W., Adamsen, F. J., Kimball, B. A., Garcia, R. L., Pinter, P. J., Jr., and Kartschall, Th. Biomass and growth rate of a spring wheat root system grown in free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) and ample moisture. J. Biogeography 22:623-634. 1995.
9. Kimball, B. A., LaMorte, R. L., Pinter, P. J., Jr., Wall, G. W., Hunsaker, D. J., Adamsen, F. J., Leavitt, S. W., Thompson, T. L., Matthias, A. D., and Brooks, T. J. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) and soil nitrogen effects on energy balance and evapotranspiration of wheat. Water Resour.Res. 35(4): 1179-1190 (1999).
10. Adamsen, F. J.,Pinter, P. J. Jr.,Barnes, E. M.,LaMorte, R. L.,Wall, G. W., Leavitt, S. W., and Kimball, B. A. Measuring Wheat Senescence Using a Digital Camera. Crop Sci. 39:719-724. 1999.
11. Wechsung, G., Wechsung, F., Wall, G.W., Adamsen, F.J., Kimball, B.A., Pinter, P.J., Jr., LaMorte, R.L., Garcia, R.L., and Kartschall, Th. The effects of free-air CO2 enrichment and soil water availability on spatial and seasonal patterns of wheat root growth. Global Change Biology. 5:519-529. 1999.
12. Adamsen, F.J., Coffelt, T.A., Nelson, J.M., Barnes, E.M., and Rice, R.C. Method for using images from a color digital camera to estimate flower number. Crop Sci. 40:704-709. 2000.
13. Adamsen, F.J., and Hunsaker, D.J. Water Content determination in saline soils using self-contained TDR and electrical capacitance systems. p. pp. 351-356. In. R.G. Evans, Benham B.L., and Trooien, T.P. (eds.) National Irrigation Symposium: Proceedings of the 4th Decennial Symposium. Phoenix, Arizona, USA. November 14-16, 2000. American Society of Agricultural Engineers. St. Joseph, Michigan. 2000. (Conference Proceedings)
14. Hunsaker, D.J., Kimball, B.A., Pinter, P.J., Jr., Wall, G.W., LaMorte, R.L., Adamsen, F.J., Leavitt, S.W., Thompson, T.L., Matthias, A.D., and Brooks, T.J. CO2 enrichment and soil nitrogen effects on wheat evapotranspiration and water use efficiency . Agric. & Forest Meteorol. 104:85-105. 2000.
15. Pinter, P.J., Jr., Kimball, B.A., Wall, G.W., LaMorte, R.L., Hunsaker, D.J., Adamsen, F.J., Frumau, K.F.A., Vugts, H.F., Hendry, G.R., Lewin, K.F., Nagy, J., Johnson, H.B., Wechsung, F., Leavitt, S.W., Thompson, T.L., Matthias, A.D., and Brooks, T.J. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE): Blower effects on wheat canopy microclimate and plant development. Agric. & Forest Meteorol. 103:319-333. 2000.
16. Sinclair, T.R., Pinter, P.J., Jr, Kimball, B.A., Adamsen, F.J., LaMorte, R.L., Wall, G.W., Hunsaker, D.J., Adam, N., Brooks, T.J., Garcia, R.L., Thompson, T., Leavitt, S., and Matthias, A. Leaf nitrogen concentration of wheat subjected to elevated [CO2] and either water or N deficits. Agric., Ecosystems & Environment. 79(1):53-60. 2000.
17. Wechsung, F., Garcia, R.L., Kartschall, T., Kimball, B.A., Michaelis, P., Pinter P.J., Jr., Wechsung, G., Grossman-Clark, S., LaMorte, R.L., Adamsen, F.J., Leavitt, S.W., Thompson, T.L., Matthias, A.D., and Brooks, T.J. Photosythesis and conductance of spring wheat ears: Field response to free-air CO2 enrichment and limitations in water and nitrogen supply. Plant, Cell and Environment. 23:917-929. 2000.