Animal & Plant Quarantine Agency, South Korea;
Past funding: WSP; Tech Launch Arizona; BIO5 Institute; Desert Tech; WAESO (NSF); NVRQS; NIH; NSF; Arizona Department of Commerce; BMD; University of Arizona
|Food Safety and Environmental Monitoring
Objective: Low-cost smartphone detection of foodborne and waterborne pathogens from microfluidic devices.
Researchers: Tu San Park, Scott Angus, Cayla Baynes, Serge Dogbevi, Brianna Rao
Collaborator: Prof. Kelly Reynolds (U Arizona)
Current funding: WET (NSF)
Past funding: WSP; Desert Tech
|1. Microfluidic device is attached to a smartphone for optical detection.
2. Smartphone quantifies immunoagglutination scattering from paper microfluidics.
3. Wine tasting on paper microfluidics.
4. Monitoring bacterial contamination from soil with microfluidic device.
5. Monitoring H1N1 flu from a mock-up human environment with microfluidic device.
|Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
Objective: Use of RGD-nanoparticle trapped nanostructured surfaces for enhanced endothelialization on vascular grafts or organ-on-a-chip applications.
Researchers: Ariana Nicolini, Kirstie Birmingham, Sarah Rogan, Tyler Connel
Collaborator: Prof. Marvin Slepian (U Arizona)
Current funding: NIH Cardiovascular Training Grant (T32HL007955)
Past funding: BIO5 Institute; NIH NIBIB (R03EB006754)
|1. Nanostructured ensemble surface, created by e-beam nanolithography and size-dependent self-assembly.
2. Flow-resistant adhesion and proliferation of HUVECs on nanostructured surface.
3 & 4. Linear alignment of fibroblast on sinosoidal wave pattern, towards cellular irrigation.|
|Fast PCR Diagnostics
Objective: Extremely fast (<5-min thermocycling), portable, and all-in-one PCR device for on-site pathogen identification.
Researchers: Dustin Harshman, Scott Angus, Roberto Reyes, Soohee Cho
Collaborator: Dr. Jae-Young Song (Animal & Plant Quarantine Agency)
Current funding: Animal & Plant Quarantine Agency; NIH Cardiovascular Training Grant (T32HL007955)
Past funding: Tech Launch Arizona; WAESO (NSF)
|1. Wire-guided droplet manipulator device.
2. Disposable circular cartridge heating module.
3. Wire-guided droplet manipualtions for DNA extraction.
4. Droplet PCR thermocylcing in less than 3 min (for 20 cycles).|
Last revised: February 18, 2014.